If you’re asking yourself ‘Is this for me?’ and you have good general fitness, can make effective turns off-piste and are up for an adventure, then YES it is!
Who: Women new to the back country, those wanting a ground- up refresher or just some more experience with guides. Skiers, split-board snowboarders and telemarkers all welcome. Only 12 places available each session, book in now!
Focus: Intro to back-country safety and touring. Practical useable skills, local information and guided backcountry travel. We want to get you out there moving in the terrain.
Format: full day on mountain Saturday sessions, supported with a short Friday night info and gear check in. We can help you source gear to borrow/ rent so that you don’t need to buy before you try.
Location: Dependent on snow and weather conditions the day sessions will run on one of the three areas below
- Pisa Range, with access from Snow Farm (no lift pass required)
- Side-country of Cardrona (no lift pass required)
- Back-country Treble Cone (Backcountry pass available $36)
Also this winter we have an overnight ski touring hut trip, and a Glacier trip and ideally to come on this you need to have either come on one of our previous courses or have been out touring a couple times before.
When: (Other dates possible, please contact us)
- Sat 26 July (27 th as weather contingency day)
- Sat 9 Aug (10th as weather contingency day
Cost: $185 for each day sessions includes optional Fri night info and gear check and full day Sat with guide ratio 1:6. Max 12 places each day.
Friday evening 6-8pm- meet at Aspiring Guides Office for chat, gear check, info and wine session. If you can’t make it just get in contact before so that we know you have your gear ready.
Saturday 8am, meet Aspiring Guides office, car pool up mountain, aim to be back by 5pm and go for a debrief drink.
REGISTER here for the Wanaka sessions
Other trips for winter 2014:
- 1-3 Aug- Canterbury: Intro to Backcountry Safety & Ski Touring (Cheesman) MORE INFO
- 21-23 Aug- Wanaka: overnight hut trip- Robrosa Hut, Pisa Range- MORE INFO
- 29-31 Aug– Ohau: Final fling, new location- spa pools and hiking, lodge life and fresh turns, frolicking and fancy dress encouraged. MORE INFO
- 29 Sept-3 Oct West Coast Glacier: 5-day ski touring trip. MORE INFO